Dear Tech4Good members,
Tech For Good and Orlando Tech Association are throwing a killer party to help kid’s charities, and we need you and tech4good’s help. bitly.com/tech-for-good
I am excited to be hosting the first Tech For Good fundraiser – a way to connect the tech community to the larger community through philanthropy. Specifically, we are raising money to help kid’s nonprofits in Orlando.
We are different than tech4good in name, but share the same spirit, and hope you can attend. For all the reason’s you are members of tech4good, we knew we needed to step up our philanthropy game. So, we are throwing a holiday style party at Irish Shannons on Friday, Dec 8th from 5:30 to 8:30 pm. Bottomless drinks from the open bar, fun bar games (including a Flip Cup tournament), and lots of goodwill. You are the champions of the Orlando tech social good, and so I come to you looking for your assistance in making this a wild success.
The more people that attend and the more sponsor dollars we raise, the more kids we can help.
1. Please buy a ticket for yourself, your friends and loved ones, your employees, and even your customers. It does not need to be exclusive to techies – anyone who is awesome is welcome: anyone who likes fun and helping children should come. We intentionally scheduled it on a Friday night downtown, so it can either be a kick-ass happy hour or a kick-ass pre-party. bitly.com/tech-for-good Use promo code T4G to save $10.
2. Help us find supportive companies to sponsor with $500-$1000 donations. They will be promoted on all of the materials alongside OTA. Checks will be written directly to BAYS Florida, the nonprofit we are helping and are tax deductible – so contact Chris Lawson email@example.com directly and I’ll facilitate.
3. Spread the word. Please spread the event info and mission, along with the coupon code far and wide via email, social, websites, friendly influencers and press. If you participate in other Meetups or group, please invite all of the members. Again, this is going to be a killer party that also helps kids, so do not be shy about shameless promotion as members of the OTA team. bitly.com/tech-for-good I sincerely appreciate your help. My goal is to host four events per year, with a new children’s charity beneficiary each time. If we can knock this one out of the park, the rest will be easy peasy.
Thanks in advance, Chris Lawson Founder/ Tech For Good
We had a nice discussion November 15th for the monthly meetup. The purpose was to recap the year and look forward to growing the group in the coming months.
As for progress to date, one of the success stories is the work of Pavel Vakh and team from iternative.net at UP Orlando. They have been engaging with the nonprofit, delivering much needed IT services and was able to obtain a file server for their initiatives.
As for looking forward to the future, we have two upcoming meetings:
- In December, we will hold our event at the Pet Alliance Orlando
- In January, one of our newer members, Greg Troxell, of National Alliance for Youth Development will be sponsoring the January event
– look forward to meetup details for both events.
I am pleased that we have re-activated this group. There has been very positive reviews and we’d like to capitalize on that for the future. We need to deliver more positive outcomes to more non profits in greater Orlando.
For the future, I’d like to hear from you. Please comment below.
I would like to thank all the people who RSVP’d and/or attended last night’s event at UPOrlando.
We initially met, then participated in a site visit of the non-profit by Nina Yon, UPOrlando’s director of development.
At the conclusion of the site visit, Mark Becker, of Cathexis Partners, discussed Peer-to-Peer fundraising – this is a model that many non-profits can use.
At the conclusion of the presentation, we discussed how we can position Tech4Good to make immediate impact in the community. Several ideas/activities:
- Publish a directory of IT suppliers/organizations that Non-profits can use (look for a separate tab on this site)
- Provide focused support for one organization, engage several groups to help alleviate some of the key pain points at the non-profit.
- Communicate to the non-profits about the services our group could provide
We specifically addressed how the team could help UPOrlando, immediately. Please watch this space as we work with UPOrlando in the next few days.
I would ask if you have additional comments, please provide here:
This past week, we saw incredible devastation to the state of Florida due to Hurricane Irma. Outpouring of support across the nation has been incredible. But charity also begins locally. We will still have our September meetup at United Against Poverty this coming Tuesday, September 19. In advance of that, United Against Poverty is experiencing an influx of goods that needs to be distributed to members in Florida. Due to the aftermath of Hurricane Irma they are receiving more food then what we alone can handle. Because our other campuses were impacted by the storm at a greater level than our campus, we will be receiving double what we normally get. They need some extra hands on deck to help us process all of this extra food. Also for this week only, the schedule does not matter. If you can find anytime throughout the day to stop by please do so and feel free to bring some friends with you to help out!
We will also be holding extended hours on Friday, September 15th until 8pm! If you have any questions please contact Jalisa, the Coordinator of Volunteers at Jalisa@upcenters.org
Also, if there are other non-profits that need more help, please contact me and we can post here.
Orlando Gives was born from a brilliant conversation at Tech4Good’s session on preparing for Giving Tuesday. Fast forward to today, each organization has brought their best to initiate an effort unlike anything Orlando has seen with the support of Orlando’s Mayor Buddy Dyer and Orange County’s Mayor Teresa Jacobs as well as local companies and individuals.
Visit http://www.orlandogives.org for more information and save the date, December 1st – Because Central Florida Matters!